The Annual Tour of HomesOld House Enthusiasts Tour in the Windsor and Linwood Cemetery Neighborhood
The 28th Annual Old House Enthusiast Tour will take place during DubuqueFest from 10 am – 5 pm on Saturday and Sunday, May 17 & 18, 2014. The tour features the Windsor and Linwood Cemetery Neighborhood in Dubuque’s North End. The annual tour encourages Dubuquers and visitors alike to get out and appreciate Dubuque's historic treasures and neighborhoods, including promoting interest in their preservation. The tour serves as a fundraiser for the group’s grant program, which supports preservation and history education projects in Dubuque. The tour houses include:
- Shalom Spirituality Center - 1001 Davis Street
- Heyne House - 2789 Windsor
- Zwack House - 2542 Stafford Street
- Voggenthaler House - 2537 Windsor
Four special programs will take place at the Shalom Spirituality Center during the tour. Entry to these events is free to all ticket holders and each event will be scheduled for approximately one-half hour. The final program will be published at www.dbqohe.org and on the tour brochure.
• Wood Window Restoration, a lecture given by David Wadsworth of Decorah will provide an overview of all aspects of window restoration, hiring a contractor and energy efficiency. (Sat at 11:00 am)
• Architectural Fabrication & Restoration, a presentation given by Pete Schroeder of Ja Mar Pattern and Restoration showing examples of restoring, replicating and refurbishing cast iron, bronze, copper and wood parts. (Sat at 1:00pm)
• Mueller Stained Glass Windows, a lecture given by Sr. Marie Therese Kalb and Sr. Carol Hemesath on the historic German stained glass windows in the Shalom Spirituality Center Chapel. (Sat and Sun at 2:30pm)
• One Woman, 21 Houses Plus One, a presentation of houses restored and revitalized over a 12 year period by Restorationist, Jan Oswald (Sun at 11 AM)
A courtesy trolley will make a loop to all the tour houses. Free parking and a portable toilet will be available at Jefferson Middle School Parking Lot on Viola Street. THERE IS NO PARKING AT SHALOM.
The Old House Enthusiasts organization prides itself in promoting the splendid stock of older homes and historic buildings in Dubuque. Monthly meetings are held the second Thursday of each month at a different historic site. The meetings have free refreshments, feature a guest speaker, and end with plenty of time to trade old house restoration tips and stories. Membership is open to the public at $15 annually. Visitors are always welcome.
For information on other Dubuque touring opportunities, visit our website at Dubuque Welcome Center , or call us at (800) 798-8844. We are located at 301 Main Street in Dubuque, Iowa.