The following properties of historical significance are in danger of being destroyed.
The Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company - 30th and Jackson
Built in the 1890's when local breweries consolidated to form one of the largest breweries in the Midwest. It closed with Prohibition, reopened as a Packing Plant. Attempts to later reopen as a Brewery after Prohibition ended failed.
It became a storage facility for the Dubuque Pack and the H&W Motor Express. The City Council created a special district to prevent teardown. The North and South portions now have separate owners
who operate businesses out of each half. Example of Romanesque Architecture.
Dubuque Female Seminary - Iowa and 17th Streets
One of the most historic buildings in Dubuque. Was built in 1854, and claimed to be the first institution of higher learning for women west of Chicago. It was used one year as the Dubuque High School in 1859. The German Theological Seminary of the Northwest purchased it for $10,000 in 1872 and occupied it until 1907 when it moved and sold the building to the Sisters of St. Francis for $20,000 who in turn established the Immaculate Conception Academy. In 1954 it operated as the Lady of Lourdes Convalescent Home. The building also served as the home of the Dubuque Girls' Club before being purchased by the Power of Prayer, Inc.
St. Mary's Catholic Church - 15th and White Streets
Dedicated in 1867 Saint Mary’s Church replaced a smaller church to meet the social and spiritual needs of a rapidly growing German Immigrant Population.
Designed in Gothic Style, modeled after the Cathedral of Salisbury in England, and topped with a 252 foot steeple the Church reminded parishioners of their European roots.
Immigrant Germans brought with them stone / brick laying and brick making skills. These skills and the fact that much of the church construction work was done by parishioners
in their free time contributed to a rapid development of the building trades in Dubuque. A school, convent, rectory and other aesthetically pleasing buildings became part of a Parish complex.
Decorative windows, statues, altar carvings, paintings, and an organ all grace the church’s interior. The final Mass and closure of the parish was in May 2010.
Some of the buildings in the complex remain open and continue to meet the social and spiritual needs of Dubuque’s inner city. Father Sigwarth, Pastor of St. Mary’s from 1956 to 1977, Poet, and Neighborhood Activist penned this Poem honoring the Church’s Centennial and its connection to the larger architectural world: “It could fittingly stand and honor command / Along streets of Milan or Cologne. On England’s Isle, it could tourists beguile / As a cathedral widely known. /”
Circa early 1900's.
Circa early 1900's.
St. Mary's interior